This is where most of the functionality of The Practice ROM is configured. The profile option selects which profile to save and load settings to and from. When the game starts, the settings saved to profile zero are automatically loaded, if any. The appearance of the menu can be configured with the font and drop shadow options. Disabling drop shadow can reduce the graphical computation impact of the menu, but may also reduce readability. The visibility of the on-screen display elements can be configured with the input display, log, lag counter, timer, and pause display options. The screen position of the utility menu, input display, log, lag counter, and timer can be configured by their respective positioning buttons. Holding Z when positioning an element will move it faster. The display unit of the lag counter can be set to frames or seconds. macro input enables or disables controller input when macro playback is active. The break type option decides how the break free command will function. When the break type is normal, the command will end textboxes, certain events and traditional cutscenes. The aggressive break type will cause the command to also try to reset the camera and some of Link's state flags. save settings and load settings will save and load the current settings to the currently selected profile. restore defaults will restore all saved settings to their default values (Does not affect saved profiles). If the saved settings were to become corrupted in such a way that they prevent the game from starting, holding the Start button when the game is starting will load the default settings instead of loading profile zero. The following settings are saved:
- Menu and on-screen displays appearances and settings.
- Saved positions and the currently selected position slot number.
- Command button binds.
- Activated cheats.
- Warp menu age, cutscene index, and entrance index.
The commands menu lets you bind commands to custom button combinations
and/or activate them manually. Pressing the name of a command will activate
that command, and pressing the button combo in the right column will bind a
button combo to the corresponding command. If you want to unbind a command,
press and keep holding L when starting the binding. A button combo for any
given command can contain at most four buttons. When activating a command with
a button combo, the button combo must explicitly be input the way it appears in
the commands menu. For example, a command with the button combo
R + A will
only be activated if you press R first and then A, or R and A at the same
A + R, or
R + B + A will not activate the corresponding command. If
the set of buttons in one button combo is a subset of those in another button
combo, the former will be overridden by the latter when both are active
The following commands are available:
- show/hide menu: Opens the utility menu if it's closed, closes it if
it's opened. Default:
R + L
- return from menu: Returns to the previous menu, as if the return
button was pressed. Default:
R + D-Left
- break free: Attempts to break any effect that removes control of Link.
C-Up + LVC Default:
Start + L
- levitate: The classic L to levitate command. Default:
- fall: Makes Link fall through the floor, as if there was no floor.
Z + L
- turbo: Sets Link's linear velocity to 27. Default:
- noclip: Toggles noclip, equivalent to the
L + D-Rightcommand in the debug version. Default:
L + D-Right
- file select: Returns (or proceeds) to the game's file select menu.
B + L
- reload scene: Reloads the current scene, starting from the last scene
A + L
- void out: Reloads the current scene, starting from the last room
entrance as if Link voided out. Default:
A + B + L
- toggle age: Toggles between Adult and Child Link. Takes effect when
entering a new area. Default:
- save state: Save the state of the game to the currently selected state
- load state: Load the state saved in the currently selected state slot.
- save position: Saves Link's current position and orientation to the
current position slot. Default:
- load position: Teleports Link to the position in the current position
- previous state: Selects the previous savestate slot.
- next state: Selects the next savestate slot. Default:
- previous position: Selects the previous position slot to be used for
- next position: Selects the next position slot to be used for
- pause/unpause: Pauses the gameplay, effectively freezing the state of
the game. If the game is already frozen, resumes gameplay as normal. While
the game is frozen, a pause icon will appear on the top-left of the screen
(enabled by default, can be turned off). Default:
- frame advance: If the game is frozen by the pause command, advances one
frame of gameplay. Otherwise, freezes the game as if the pause command was
- record macro: Start/stop input macro recording. Default:
- play macro: Start/stop input macro playback. This command can be held
down to loop the macro. Default:
- collision view: Toggle the collision view on or off.
- hitbox view: Toggle the hitbox view on or off.
- explore prev room: Loads the previous room while using the scene
R + D-Down
- explore next room: Loads the next room while using the scene explorer.
R + D-Up
- reset lag counter: Resets the number of lag frames recorded to zero.
R + B + D-Right
- toggle watches: Shows or hides watches globally.
R + D-Right
- start/stop timer: Starts the on-screen timer if it is stopped, stops it
if it's running. Default:
R + A + D-Left
- reset timer: Sets the time of the on-screen timer to zero.
R + B + D-Left
- start timer: Starts the on-screen timer if it is stopped.
- stop timer: Stops the on-screen timer if it is running.
- reset: Reset the game, as if the reset button had been pressed.
Warning: Unbinding the show/hide menu or return from menu commands,
or binding them to a button combination that will interfere with menu
navigation can make it impossible to use the utility menu. If this happens,
you can restore the default settings by entering the following button sequence:
D-Up D-Up D-Down D-Down D-Left D-Right D-Left D-Right B A.
Note: Button combos that interfere with menu navigation for commands that aren't related to menuing are disabled while the utility menu is active.